Saturday, September 1, 2012

Come Dream With Me...

Several months ago I began to hear a call to "dream a new dream" for my life....to re-imagine how I was spending my time and resources....to question my assumptions about my walk with the Lord....a dawning awareness that I have lived out a Christian version of the American dream instead of taking seriously the global purpose of God to use my blessings for His glory....my heart was stirred to obey God's command to "speak up for those who cannot speak for themselves, for the rights of all who are destitute...speak up and defend the rights of the poor and needy." (Proverbs 31:8-9).

The call to do something new came from many directions....from a Beth Moore Bible study on James, from several books I was reading, such as Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis and  Radical by David Platt, and sermons, songs, and conversations all added to the sense that God was at work to do something more in me than life as usual. Through a blog posting I discovered an opportunity to become an advocate for women in poverty, and through prayer and seeking and the support of my husband, God has opened other doors to impact the lives of children in poverty around the world.

 One quote that was especially motivating for me was from Katie, "I know that I cannot change the world, but I can change the world for one person."  That is my dream, my call....and I advocate for other women to hear and respond to that call.

This blog is part of that continued journey, as I hear the word, "advocate" resounding within me more and more. Yes, to advocate for children in need, for women in desperate situations, but also to  advocate for other women to join with me....to question their lives, to dare to ask God to show them a new dream, to be willing to follow a new path, to be "just one" who will change the world for someone else!   I invite you to come with me.

5 comments:

  1. This speaks to me, and many more who are finding themselves at the same place in life and seeking God for new purpose. The role of stay at home mother was clearly His will for the past season. Now, you have a new purpose - and maybe I will too. Thank you, my sister in Christ!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post....as a fellow ce with trades of hope, I love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jill, for visiting my blog! I'm just starting in the blog world and appreciate your input.
      Hope to meet at at TOH event someday!

      Delete
  3. Tears stream down my face as this Spirit inside resonates with this beautiful heart! Thank you! Proverbs 31:8-9 is my favorite! I needed this encouragement today, you are a blessing! I have been impacted by your son, and now by you! God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much for your sweet words...my prayer for this blog is to be an encouragement to other women to make a difference in the world by their choices. It always blesses me for someone to respond and let me know that God is using my words. Praying that He will continue to lead you in His way!

    ReplyDelete